Ok, so I have to admit, I’ve never actually bought a jar of Nutella. I’ve tried it, but I’ve never been able to bring myself to buy it, because I just can’t get over the 11g of refined sugar per tablespoon. No thanks! But, let’s be honest, who doesn’t love the TASTE of Nutella?! I decided to go on a mission to make something that has that same delicious taste, but is far better in nutritional value!
Straight to the North Coast Naturals Raw Hemp Smoothie I went… in chocolate, of course. Full of protein and fiber, I knew this would be the perfect base of a knock-off Nutella protein bar! To bring in the sweetness… fiber rich, energy-giving dates fit the bill, and raw cocoa powder to add even more chocolaty goodness… and not to mention, antioxidants too!
Of course, you can’t have that key Nutella taste without the hazelnuts, so in the food processor went a bunch of raw hazelnuts, and some raw almonds to balance out the flavor.
At the last moment I decided to add in some rolled oats, to increase the “fill-you-up” factor, and I used almond milk to add the necessary moisture needed to make the bar batter the right consistency!
One bite of these bars is all it takes to remind you of Nutella, but no guilt with each bite after that because you know it’s all natural and all healthy! That’s my kinda’ snack!
- ½ cup raw hazelnuts + ¼ cup raw hazelnuts (set aside)
- ½ cup raw almonds
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons raw cocoa powder
- ½ cup quick oats
- ½ cup North Coast Naturals Raw Hemp Smoothie in Chocolate
- 2-3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- Combine all ingredients (except ¼ cup hazelnuts) in a food processor until a slightly sticky “batter” is achieved.
- If the mixture is crumbly add in more almond milk 1 teaspoon at a time until the mixture sticks together easily.
- Press the mixture evenly into a 9x5 pan.
- Crush the remaining ¼ cup raw hazelnuts and sprinkle evenly over the pan and press lightly into the batter.
- Place in the freezer for 2 to 3 hours to set.
- Cut into 16 bars. Enjoy!
- Store remaining bars in the fridge or freezer.
To go along with this fabulous recipe we’re giving away a Healthy for Spring Prize Pack that includes 100% Iso-Protein in your choice of flavour, Raw Hemp Smoothie in your choice of flavour, Fermented L-Glutamine and Ultimate Daily Greens. Follow the instructions below to enter. (Contest closes April 11th. Open to Canadian residents only.)
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Christal Sczebel is a Holistic Nutritionist and Registered Massage Therapist. She has a passion for helping others discover their best health through optimal nutrition and embracing a healthy lifestyle. Through education and inspiration, Christal aims to empower others to live a healthier lifestyle, experience true wellness, and to create, eat, and enjoy real whole foods. You can find delicious and healthy recipes, tips on nutrition, healthy living, fitness, and healthy travel on her blog, Nutritionist In The Kitch.
Connect with Christal: