Guest Post by Melissa Togo from Wholesomely Homemade
It’s my first guest post for North Coast Naturals, and I am so pleased to be here. It wasn’t long ago that I first heard of North Coast Naturals, and it didn’t take much for me to fall in love with their organic and high-quality products.
Today I am excited to share a dessert recipe for all you chocolate lovers out there. Dark, chocolaty, creamy, velvety, rich, mousse… Not only does this delicious dessert scream decadence, but it’s also highly nutritious!
Traditional chocolate mousse is a luxurious, French dessert that is often made using raw egg yolks, good quality dark chocolate, whipped egg whites, sugar and cream. My version on the other hand, omits all of those ingredients except one, and that’s the chocolate!
This mousse is made with melted semi-sweet dark chocolate. However, there’s a secret star ingredient that creates such a smooth, whipped texture, ideal for making mousse. You won’t be able to guess based on the taste or appearance alone, but the special ingredient is avocados. Using the right ratio of ingredients, when blended, the taste and colour of the avocados will be entirely hidden.
This chocolate mousse is rich in protein, fibre, probiotics and superfoods, all by adding a few scoops of the North Coast Naturals Chocolate Raw Hemp Smoothie. I absolutely love this product’s taste and versatility.
This mousse contains no eggs, butter, cream or refined sugar and can be made vegan by using vegan chocolate. Enjoy it as an elegant snack or dessert. I find that it’s the perfect mid-afternoon, pick-me-up snack, when you’re in need of satisfying that chocolate craving. It’s a lovely dessert to serve and is sure to please. Enjoy!
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate baker squares, chopped
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 avocados, pitted
- ¼ cup cacao powder (can substitute with cocoa powder)
- ￼4 tablespoons North Coast Naturals Chocolate Raw Hemp Smoothie
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Optional Toppings:
- 1 kiwi, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- ¼ mango, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- In a double boiler, add chocolate, almond milk, espresso powder and honey. Stir frequently until chocolate is completely melted.
- In a blender, add avocados and melted chocolate mixture. Blend until combined.
- Next, add cacao powder, North Coast Naturals Chocolate Raw Hemp Smoothie and cinnamon. Blend until smooth.
- Serve with freshly chopped fruit and dark chocolate shavings over top.
Melissa Togo is a healthy living blogger at Wholesomely Homemade. On her blog she shares her boundless love for food and nutrition. Wholesomely Homemade’s goal is simply to share and inspire. Read more.