Give into your candy craving – the healthy way.
Were you a sucker for gummy candy as a kid? Whether in bear, worm, Sour Patch Kids or Swedish fish form, I was a huge fan.
The thought of the sugar, chemicals, and artificial dyes in so many of these products never crossed my 10-year-old mind, but as a much more nutrition-savvy adult, I can’t help but think twice every time I see a bag of gummies in the grocery store. I’m far more a fan of a whole food-based diet now, but occasionally I like to see if I can re-create healthier versions of those foods I loved so much as a kid.
Healthy gummies? Yep, it’s possible! And nope, you don’t need dyes, chemicals, sugar, wax, or any of the other junk you’ll find in the store-bought ones.
These are naturally flavoured with fresh fruit, and get an extra punch of nutrition from Emergen-C and North Coast Naturals Fermented L-Glutamine. The list of healthy ingredients in these gummy bears make them an excellent post-workout recovery snack, try popping a few after your next workout to replenish and re-fuel.
- ½ cup pureed strawberries
- 1 packet Emergen-C Super Orange Flavour
- 1 scoop North Coast Naturals Fermented L-Glutamine
- ½ cup plain coconut water
- 3 tbsp organic gelatin (grass fed if possible)
- In a bowl, whisk together the strawberry puree, Emergen C powder, and Fermented L-glutamine. Set aside and rinse the whisk.
- In a small pot, bring the coconut water nearly to a boil. Lower heat to medium to prevent boiling. (This is very important – the gelatin will not set properly if the stove is too hot.)
- Add the gelatin to the pot and whisk constantly until it dissolves into the coconut water, about 3 minutes.
- Pour the gelatin mixture into the strawberry puree and stir until an even mixture forms.
- Pour the puree onto a large plate and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When set, use a small cookie cutter to cut out your gummies. I used a small bear and managed to make about 30.
- Store in the fridge in a sealed container.
Angela is an avid runner, fitness instructor, foodie, healthy living blogger, and owner of her business, Spin 360 Health Coaching. Having been overweight, unhappy and insecure as a teenager, Angela took control, changed her unhealthy habits, and adopted a clean eating lifestyle that she continues to maintain today. Her goal is to support, inspire, and motivate others to improve their health and be their best. You can learn more about her on her blog, Eat-Spin-Run-Repeat.com.