Guest Post by Angela Simpson, blogger and Health Coach at Eat-Spin-Run-Repeat
I don’t know about you, but I often fall victim to lunch ruts. You know, you totally fall in love with a combo of fillings in your wrap, or that chili that warms you up on a cold day. Soon you realize it’s been weeks since you had something different, and while go-to recipes make for easy meal prep decisions, sometimes a little variety is good too!
Since it’s a new year, why not start it off with a new salad recipe, featuring the pomegranate, one of my favourite seasonal fruits. I hope you enjoy this one as much as I do!
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- ⅔ cup pomegranate arils
- ⅓ cup chopped organic dried apricots
- ⅓ cup shelled pistachios
- 2 large stalks celery, diced
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds (such as North Coast Naturals raw hemp seeds)
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Put the broth and quinoa in a small saucepan and cook over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes, or until grains are puffy and most liquid is absorbed. Strain off any remaining broth and transfer the quinoa to a large bowl.
- To the same bowl, add all remaining ingredients. Stir well.
- Set the pilaf aside for at least 15 minutes to allow the flavours to intensify. Serve warm or cold.
- Serves 2-3 as a side.
To learn more about Angela, and for more delicious, healthy recipes, check out her blog at Eat-Spin-Run-Repeat.com. You can also learn more about her Gorgeous Guide to Goal Conquering, a complete resource and online community to help you achieve your goals in 2014 by clicking here.